Tuesday, December 21

Random Ramblings

So I still haven't told anyone about this blog. The only people who come here are those who either find it from one of the 3 people who have it on their blogroll or are one of those 3 people or my SIL (who comes here every few months or so.) I don't know why. On one hand, I like not having to answer to people IRL about what I post here so that I can vent about stuff like DH or family or whatever. OTOH, it might be nice to have people to talk to instead of just cyberspace.

Second, this blog is increasingly inaptly named. My knitting is nonexistant nowadays with this pregnancy carpal tunnel. And that blows because I really want to get some diaper covers and longies knitted and it just isn't happening. But, then again, my whole homekeeping has suffered this pregnancy. I am having a hard time even keeping up with cooking and cleaning and laundry, nevermind sewing, mending, knitting, baking, crafts, etc. I guess it is getting me ready for the utter lack of time I will have with a newborn, but I kind of feel cheated especially because I know that my free time will take a major fall when the baby comes.

Third: DS and school. Now this is a subject that I am struggling over. We are involved in a homeschool group. We were actually involved in another one a while back, but there are some bullying issues there and I don't intend on exposing my DS to bullying when I can avoid it, IYKWIM. So this new group spun off of the playgroup we have been involved with since DS was just 6 months old (He turned 4 last week) Many of the families have been DS's playmates for years and it tends toward the younger end of the spectrum rather than the preschool to high school groups around elsewhere, mostly because we have spun off of our playgroup and we are reaching this age together.

Anyway, I am frustrated with this group because one of the big problems people often bring up about homeschooling is socialization. Which, BTW, is inaccurate. What they really mean is having consistant social outlets with the same general group of people. Anyway, I tend to agree that this is a concern with homeschooling so my goal then is to attempt to find a consistant group of people with whom we interact on a very regular basis. This group can't seem to manage even a weekly park day. At best we have a biweekly park day, but those are sporadically attended. Sometimes there are tons of kids, sometimes 2. They have also instituted what they call Young Explorer Days on a weekly basis. Problem with this? Tons of driving. Sometimes hours of it. They want to explore some local places, some not local places and even include hiking. Well, hiking is out for us because DS will poop out after the 1st mile and want to be carried. And I am 7 months pregnant and not carrying a 50+lb child for another few miles. And yes, the hikes tend toward the 2+ mile length there and then again back. Some 3-5 year olds can do this, but certainly not even the majority. I won't even get into the fact that we live in (and they are hiking through) mountain lion country and there have been attacks and deaths, although not tons of them.

So to recap, the only regular weekly get together isn't very consistant given that the place varies every week, sometimes by a hundred miles, or includes activities that are just not appropriate for the general age range of the group. (general age range being 3-6 years old, with many younger siblings from newborn to 2) Now how good is this for social interaction and community building? It isn't. Which encourages me to not homeschool. But then my friends who have children in the school system tell me about what goes on there which strongly encourages me to homeschool. And I'm not even talking about their horror stories! Plus, I have a year and a half before DS even qualifies for kindergarten because of where his birthday falls and preschool is WAAAAAAAY out of our budget even if it were something we were interested in. So we are looking at homeschooling at the very least until he qualifies age-wise for kindergarten. *sigh*

No comments: