Thursday, October 11
Computerless
Blogging will be extra light over the next few weeks. I am computer-less. Well, personal computer-less. I have DH's, but I don't like to use it all that much. Our power bills have been exorbitant and we cannot figure out why. We don't have air conditioning, And I don't use my dryer a huge amount. But my 7 year old computer runs hot and loud (and sloooooooow!) and gets louder as it is left on. So I turned it off the other day and watched the electric meter outside as it went from on to off and there was a noticeable slowdown. So we are going to leave mine off for a month and see what the power bill looks like. If it is down by $20+ dollars then I think there will be a discussion of a new computer. And I think it will be. As a bonus, the office is much quieter. But since the camera hooks up to my computer to download photos, I don't know that there will be any photos this month. :(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh yes, computers are major power hogs. I started turning mine off every night and noticed a $20+ drop in our bill in one month. Unfortunately we have to have a server on all the time...that's probably $20 or more added to our bill monthly!
If you call the electric company, they will come out and meter all your major appliances to make sure there isn't something wrong. Its free of charge, and usually worth it if your bill starts climbing without reason.
First - just turning it off saved $20? Yikes. I'd better think about $40 then. Or keep this info to myself!
And Jennifer - I wonder if that will work for computers? I get refrigerators and ovens and such, but can they measure computers for that? Isn't there a lot of variability? I think I might call. Or wait the month. Who knows.
Post a Comment