Monday, November 5

Harry Potter and the Painted Cave

A post in two acts.

Act I Halloween

Z wanted to be Harry Potter for Halloween. Since he is a big fan after having read Sorcerer's Stone recently (about 5 times!) I figured he would want to have robes he could really use for pretend play, so here we have Hogwarts robes fully lined (and reversible so he could theoretically pretend they are Quidditch robes as well) There aren't any actual branded Harry Potter robe patterns, so it is necessary to take another pattern and alter it so you can have something similar. I used Simplicity Pattern 3597, because Simplicity patterns were on sale for 99 cents. I'm sure there is another pattern company's pattern that is equally able to be altered. This one was pretty simple to adjust. I change the sleeve shape, and, instead of doing the facing I fully lined it. All in all it wasn't too difficult, but I totally zoned on the sleeves and they are a bit wonky, but not bad.

Here he is.



Act II

The Painted Cave



This cave is up in Santa Barbara and it a relic of the Chumash Indians who lived in this area (they still have a reservation nearby) This cave retains paintings created in the late 1600s using shells, red ochre and charcoal. On the left there is a painting that is believed to depict a solar eclipse that occurred on November 24, 1677. I really can't believe you can walk right up to it, peer in through the bars blocking total access and see this. All these pictures are taken with a flash, because otherwise you would be able to see nothing.



Here are the guys, goofing off in some of the nearby niches.




And here is B, looking for all the world like the cover of a Hardy Boys, the Toddler Years book.

1 comment:

Shweta Khedkar said...

hi, I liked ur blog. We seem to be in simillar condition Z I too have a 20 month old kid. And I too love cooking and have a hobby of collecting cook books. Felt Good to read the stuff. Keep writing and all tghe best.
Shweta