Monday, November 10

Fall Dyeing

So we are finally getting around to removing the blossoms from the Mexican Marigold bush and preparing the fiber (in this case cotton yarn and a little wool as well) so that we can do some plant dyeing.

Here are the boys helping me to do some of the blossom picking. B especially enjoys burying his hands in the giant pile of flower petals. Can you blame him?



This is a giant bowl full of the petals and still the bush is only half picked over.



Marigolds simmering on the stove. Can I tell you how odd the smell of simmering flowers is? Last time I did this outside, so the smell wasn't obvious. It isn't bad, just different. I wouldn't go so far as good though. BTW, while all pictures lately will be taken on my crummy cell phone camera until I get my new phone, this one is clearly the worst. Lack of flash really does make for a tough shot. I did get photos on my regular camera though.


The color isn't reading well, but the cotton yarn came out a greenish yellow and the wool came out a soft yellow. We're off to hike this morning and more marigolds this afternoon. Well there's more yarn...


Edited to change yarn pictures because this one is much closer to the actual color.

3 comments:

Lovey said...

That looks like fun!

shizzknits said...

Pretty yarn! I love the big bucket of petals...No wonder B wanted to put his hands in it.

Tricia Rennea (sometimes Daisy) said...

Oh wow, it is green! I love that. Are there more flowers to do this with? I bet some would smell marvelous cooking. That shade of green is one of my favorite colors.