the breakfast of champions!
Yesterday was a crazy busy day, Thursdays get like that. I feel the pull of cooking most on Thursday and I don't know why. I should figure out how to harness that.
I pulled the rest of the chard out of the garden yesterday morning because it was bolting over and over again, clearly summer has set in. So the kids and I pulled it up, cleaned it and I made chard soup with it. But one of the ingredients in my chard soup is sorrel, or if sorrel is unavailable, juice from one lemon. Well I only had one left and didn't want to waste the zest, so of course I needed to bake biscotti. I also made a summer vegetable stew with some garden gatherings and had enough zucchini left over from that to make zucchini bread. Since that is a good breakfast over here for Z who refuses to eat eggs, or pretty much most breakfast foods except for toast or bagels, I made a loaf to put away slices for breakfasts.
I also needed to make cornbread to accompany the chard soup. So my oven was on for 3+ hours on a hot day. Did I mention I have no air conditioning? But there was dinner when we came home from our playdate and there was breakfast this morning and leftovers for lunch today and biscotti for DH to take to work, have for Shabbat treat tonight and a couple to have with my coffee this morning.
I have never had a garden like the one I have now. I have planted a few things here and there over the years, but this is my very first garden and I am overjoyed with how it is working. I love going out there and picking what is fresh and ready to use to cook with. So much more inspiring then the grocery store.

3 comments:
Sounds like your garden has really taken off. I wish I had your cooking mojo! Or barring that, I wish you still lived nearby so I could come over and have dinner! LOL
wow, you rock!!! How yummy!!!
Ok...this post really makes me want to try gardening again. The mention of zucchini bread takes me back to when I had enough zucchini to share, make pasta dishes with it, and make bread. The smell is so wonderful in the house!
Post a Comment