Wednesday, February 20

Homeschool Wednesday





I would like to keep a bit of homeschool on here regularly just to keep family (Hi Grandma K!) updated. We are most definately full time homeschooling now. Come Parent/Teacher conference week (early next month) we'll do an exit "interview" of sorts with his former teacher and the academics administrator.

The photos above are from today's main lesson. We are covering the Four Processes. Z is already ahead of basic addition and subtraction, but I want to tell the stories so I can use the squirrels for more advanced math later on, so we are hitting these as a review and then working on some worksheets to advance his skills afterwards.

He is still having trouble with the drawings sometimes and especially with spacing his work appropriately on the page and writing his number sentences clearly. I am trying to slow down his tendency to rush through by requiring different colors for different things in the equation (each symbol has its own color plus= green, minus = red, equals = purple, etc.) Having to pick up the different crayons requires him to at least approach it with a touch more thought.

We are also practicing skip counting in preparation for multiplication which begins tomorrow. He can already skip count through 2s, 3s, and 4s.

We are doing a Form Drawing lesson during this week and we are working on standing forms - especially circles and squares. Today we're going to get the big chalk out and hit the sidewalks instead of the paper. And then we're going to walk the forms we draw on the sidewalk.

Then this afternoon - more knitting. My goal is to have him continue working on a large project to help him build up his ability to work towards a larger goal. It is slow going.

3 comments:

Teaching Handwork said...

WOnderful work! I love the black board drawing

Woolfairy said...

Thanks! I appreciate that!

Lovey said...

What a beautiful drawing!