Some time alone
Don't worry, I'm not getting used to it. It may be my last time alone for YEARS. Actually it is very nice. DH, poor guy, has been working himself crazy finishing up some contract work so that we can pay off this homebirth and buy the baby things, etc. He's been putting in long days at the office and then longer nights at home, sometimes not getting to bed till after 3 in the morning. And I'm closing in on the end of this pregnancy, which is getting harder on me physically. I'm exhausted and the relaxin is wreaking havoc on my ankle, which had some ligament problems last year that resolved, but were reawakened by the hormone surge preparing my body for childbirth. IcyHot patches are my very best friend nowadays.
Anyway, those physical changes and stressors are par for the course and I mostly just live with them, but it is really slowing me down with my poor 4yo DS. I can't do as much, we don't go as many places, I can't walk very far and there is no way I can pick him up anymore. And he needs a touch more physical play than I am able to give him right now. And with DH being effectively out of the picture for a few weeks, including weekends, DS has been going nuts. But today Daddy is back and they are off in a mad celebration of that today with a huge day at the park bike riding and boat riding and swinging and climbing and all manner of things Mommy can't do much of anymore. And tomorrow is a Disneyland day. And if I even go, basically I will sit on my butt a lot because of this ankle. DS is very much in his element.
A good example of how quickly I peter out nowadays is yesterday. DH invited some friends over for Shabbat dinner. Not ever a big deal in the past. So DS and I went out to the Farmer's Market in the morning for asparagus and strawberries (one of the big positives of living in Southern CA, BTW), stopped at Trader Joe's for a few things and then on to Costco for 2 folding chairs we have needed to buy for awhile now. After that, I needed to rest for about an hour because I was EXHAUSTED. And then back to the kitchen for challah baking, food prep and cooking, cleaning up the dishes, etc. I worked for about 3 hours total. And when I was done (and DH was home) I was so exhausted and drained that I had to lay on the sofa for awhile and not do anything. We even did all the non-table specific Friday night stuff in the living room to give me more rest time. And many hours later (10pm) I brought DS up to bed and then lay on the bed upstairs to try to recover from my day of body abuse. It hurt to even make my way to the bathroom. Pathetic really. But after a good night's sleep, I woke up only midly aching from my workout yesterday and after an afternoon of doing nothing, I feel loads better.
Oh wait, I didn't do nothing! I get to mark one more thing off my to-do list - I finally ordered those darn cosleeper extender legs! :)
Saturday, January 22
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment