Monday, September 10

Caution: Busy week ahead



So here is the quilt as it stands right now. Everything is done except for the handsewing of the binding - which I made good progress on last night as DH and I watched Hidalgo. Not what I would have chosen, but it was a good story. I didn't have much time to set up photos and fix light, so you get a flash photo with altered colors because a 2yo who shall remain nameless was freaking out a bit about who got to use Mommy's camera. I attempted to get a picture of him but it was a blur fest so no photo today.


2nd photo is a close up of what was supposed to a mitered corner. Her instructions were a bit vague (even though there was a drawn picture) Should I open the binding here or leave it closed? I left it closed due to the diagram, but either I should have left it open or I should have been folding the whole binding over double. In either case, it looks okay, but not what I would call mitered.

And the Eat Local Challenge. Well, we are doing what we can. Trying to include a heavy assortment of local foods at each meal as best I can. Produce is always local, bread and meat not so much (although I do have a source or two for local meat, it can be hit or miss as to supply) I made another (non-photographed) meal over the weekend of 100% local ingredients that I enjoyed immensely. Gotta work on the 2yo though. The 6yo loves it. It feels weird putting up photos of our meals. Heck, it feels weird taking photos of our meals. Sort of self-congratulatory in a way that makes me uncomfortable. And yet I never mind at all looking at other people's. Weird.

The rest of the week: Ah the High Holidays. Where local goes flying neatly out the window. Because there is no way I am going to attempt making my own gefilte fish from scratch. Not happening. And I won't be able to get a local roasting chicken because I was an hour (!) late calling the farm. I didn't know there was a time frame specific to that. Now I do. Just in time for nothing I suppose. It isn't like I have another roasting chicken need anytime soon. We don't eat enough meat for that. Maybe Thanksgiving turkey. I shudder to think how much that will cost. I could get a duck, but those are running $25/each. Plus I haven't the foggiest notion how to do one and I'm not going to try to figure it out in time for Rosh Hashanah. So I'll do my best, but apples aren't in season yet here (they are old storage apples at the market. Ugh) So I'll need to bring them in from somewhere west coast grown (maybe Washington?) And then there's Yom Kippur break fast and Sukkot combined with Z's school's annual campout. Lots of food and celebratory food at that. I'll do my best.
Last, but not least, while I was typing this, my 2yo broke into the office. He disassembled the baby gate, came in and then reassembled it. I guess it is time for the more challenging one to be put up in it's place.
And just a small Happy Birthday in memory of my mom who would have been 59 today.

No comments: