Monday, September 17

Weekend Report

Wow, what a real crazy week! DH and I got sick the day before Rosh Hashanah. That'll really throw shopping and cooking into a tailspin when all you want to do all day is go to bed. I dragged myself to the farmer's market where I had called ahead to the farm to order 2 chickens for the holiday. They, of course, didn't have them or any meat at all, not even duck which I would have taken as a backup! And so ends the possibility of a mainly local holiday. I did make our challah myself from ingredients already in the house and the beautiful eggs I got at the market and local honey from the farm directly (They have a honey tasting room. How cool is that?). And we had slow roasted tomatoes made with things from our garden plus local olive oil and garlic both from the farmer's market. But the chicken was from TJ's.

And 2nd night we ate at some family friends' home. Wonderful Persian food! And great company. Shabbat dinner was blessedly vegetarian after the heavy food from days prior. (and completely local) I made tortilla espanol from local potatoes, onions and eggs and olive oil. Plus we had fruit and tomatoes and roasted tomato sauce from my garden and the market. If it is tomatoes lately it is from my garden. What a glut of tomatoes!

And speaking of gluts, we went over to DH's new office (the one the company just bought but hasn't moved into because of much renovating to be done.) and we picked an enormous amount of lemons because the lemon trees really needed to be cleared a bit so they could be tended to. So we have an absolute ton of lemons! And they are huge. See:



And so I see lemon curd and preserved lemons and lemon oil and lemon vinegar and lemon meringue pies in our future. These are headed to DH's office today.



Funny story about these pies. DH wanted to make his mom's lemon meringue pie. He has very fond memories of it. So he called his SIL to get the ingredients list to make sure we had everything and then we headed home to make it. As he is finishing up the baking on the 1st one, he happens to notice the recipe for lemon meringue pie on the side of the corn starch box. Yes, it was in fact his mother's super secret special recipe. D'oh!

1 comment:

Beatriz said...

Nancy made some tortilla espanol before. I had never heard of it, but she went to Spain and swore it was yummy. I've got to get her to make some more soon!