Tuesday, September 4

Labor Day Locally



So I have found it completely impossible to eat 100% local so far. Neither enough time nor knowledge of local sources to do it justice. But I think I may take a page out of the One Local Summer Challenge and shoot for one 100% local meal a week and then try to feature local food on the table throughout the week.

This Labor Day weekend, we took a trip to the semi-local Farmer's Market The very local one has virtually no organic growers. It is good for most weeks, but I like making the trip to the farther one at least once a month. In the photo above there are homegrown Brandywine tomatoes and green beans, goat cheese in olive oil from both local goat cheese makers/goat farm and olive oil also from a local producer, grassfed bison short ribs (the goat cheese for me, the bison for DH and whichever boy was willing to try it) and bread for the crostini also from the farmer's market. And a small bouquet from a local grower as well.

It was wonderful and very special feeling making and serving this meal. We get in such a rush these days around this place that we end up either throwing together packaged food or run out to grab something out. We get into the rut of "what's for dinner? Organic or drive-through. A weird juxtaposition I know. We went to a picnic at DS's school last week and so few people brought homemade food. Most brought take-away and lots of others brought packaged food. And, to be honest, if it hadn't been the day before payday, I probably would have gone that route myself. Perhaps the point of this challenge for me is to quit the mindless meals and actually prepare, with love, rather then as an afterthought, the meals around here.

The trick is how to do it while honoring myself as well. Realizing that I can't be super-organic perfect mom and just try to be mindful and nourishing when I put food in front of my kids instead of just putting food there. It is harder then it looks, which is strange since I grew up with a family dinner every single night. Homemade. From a working mom. On a budget. So I know from experience it is totally doable.

1 comment:

shizzknits said...

Oh I know just how you feel (and I live where there's access to much local and organic produce).

Sometimes I feel like I'm so caught up in the daily grind that everything become a chore- even cooking (which I used to really like).

IMO if you are are event thinking about this, you are doing great!