Tuesday, January 16

Let the tangles begin



Last night I reached the actual colorwork part of the intarsia chart and everything I've read about intarsia has come true. Primarily that no matter what you do, no matter how many bobbins you make, the back of the work becomes a tangled mess. So last night I stopped at this point (since the next row begins a new color and the aqua above the green ends for a few rows) and wove in a whole bunch of ends. I also became pretty good at carrying a color behind the work over at the little aqua spot on the other side which will become the scoop of the track excavator. The biggest challenge I had was the small aqua spots in the middle of the green area. They tended to pull slightly. But they seemed to do so in the picture from the book, plus they will be embroidered over a little, so I am calling this one a design element.


And this is a photo of the winter nature table which acquired gnomes yesterday. The gnomes were quite popular yesterday afternoon and walked down their stone path to their home at the bottom of the tree quite a lot. And a bunny appeared from nowhere to hang out in this inviting wintery place.


2 comments:

shizzknits said...

I"m watching you closely with the intarsia because I really like this sweater and am thinking of knitting it. So it will be cool to see someone else knit it first!

Beatriz said...

Wow...you are doing excellent work and progress on the intarsia sweater!