I made an apron/smock for B from the pattern in The Children's Year for painting and cooking. DH thinks it looks a little like a dress, but since it is only a smock for around the house, I'm not too worried about it. I'm actually particularly pleased with it because I picked up the fabric from the local independent fabric store on the clearance rack for $2 and then I got the bias tape from a box of cast offs at a flea market for a quarter. For some reason I am intimidated by the sewing machine even though I worked for 2 summers in a fabric store, another summer apprenticing in a costume shop (and many many more years at least helping to sew my own costumes for plays, musicals and operas - sometimes entirely by hand without a pattern on the floor of my dorm room) Not to mention that I watched my mother sew clothes and costumes my entire life, with much of that time spent being the one doing the pinning and cutting and general grunt work although I remember loving it. So I really do know my way around a sewing machine and fabric store quite well.
Last night I went to my local B & N and browsed through the sewing books that are in vogue right now and decided that I could do well without them. Almost all of the sewing advice and getting started stuff that I thought I would need from them I happen to know already and the patterns aren't things that my Dh would like generally for household things, so I held off for now because there are a few books coming out soon(ish) that I am more interested in. Like Bend-The-Rules Sewing by Amy Karol, whose blog I enjoy. And then there is the as-yet-untitled (at least for me to know) book that Soulemama has written which I will most definitely be buying.
Here are some more boy/apron photos for the fun of it. And just because I am curious, why do my children think that the camera pointing at them means it is time to stick out their tongues. Is this a standard kid response to cameras? :

1 comment:
What a cute smock, and an even cuter little! The boys are growing up so quickly. I can't believe how big they are getting.
Post a Comment