I have been food obsessed forever. Well, at least what seems like it. Through years of veganism, diets, eating organic and belonging to a CSA before it was in fashion and when eating organic basically meant eating local. And over the years I have become passionate about local food (although not in a movement sort of way) As a matter of fact, I had no idea until recently that there even was such a thing as a local eating movement. But then an article in my local paper alerted me to a group called Locavores. Which alerted me to the fact that they are having something called the Eat Local Challenge September 2007. (I'm a little to late for One Local Summer)
I've already determined that it will likely be impossible to be entirely month-long local eaters. Between DH's protein powder and flour/bread products (how would I even go about finding a local flour source. That doesn't show up at the farmer's market!) I think I will have to make a goal to eat all fresh foods (fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, etc.) local and all supplementary parts of our diet (flour products, protein powder for DH, sugar, coffee, soy sauce, etc.) a minor part - no more that 25% and hopefully much less. I foresee roasted chicken, fresh veggies, fruits, eggs and goat cheese in our upcoming future. Mmmmmm. Goat cheese. You haven't lived till you've had the pesto goat cheese from Healthy Family Farms. Dh would disagree. Because clearly it is their cranberry walnut that is the pinnacle.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. September is the month with back-to-school and High Holidays. And Z's school-wide campout. Can it be done? I may have to cut myself some slack, but it is a goal...
Thursday, August 23
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment