Monday, August 20

Garden gatherings

The garden has been producing of late. Bags full of green beans, a refrigerator full of cucumbers (that I need to put up) and now the tomatoes are starting. Finally. I can enjoy my toast with tomatoes with my very own homegrown ones. If the Brandywines ever ripen, I will be up to my ears in eating tomatoes and I will be able to can the San Marzanos.



Funny thing about gardening here. All this sun and I thought for sure I would have had tons of ripe tomatoes by now. I mean they've been in the farmer's market for more then a month now. And my Brandywines are huge but nowhere near ready to turn ripe. but my tomato plants are huge and taking over the whole planting area. I never expected plants taller then me. The zucchini was a bust and I am a miserable failure so far at container gardening. Everything seems to be getting rootbound. And I miss my wonderful gardening store in OC where they had the most amazing plants and the best help ever. I need someone to take me under their wing and show me the finer points. But nobody I know locally gardens or sews, or spins or any of the other things I want to learn to do by absorbing someone else's knowledge instead of creating mine from whole cloth out of a book. So I suppose it is down to trial and error. Not such a big deal I guess. You do have to start somewhere.

And here's a pic DH took the other day when B got into the Better Than Cream Cheese and created his very own non-milk moustache.

No comments: